Sunday, September 17, 2017

The Most Important Work You'll Ever Do


It's been a rough week, the kind that involves absolutely no sleep because of pregnancy-related discomforts, but all's well that ends well, and this week ended well.

Let me share with you one sweet moment that occurred Saturday afternoon.

You know I love any opportunity to share the gospel with a friend, and this one popped up in quite the unexpected way.

I was walking around the home store called Kirkland's, and passed by a sign that at quick glance seemed to have a very familiar phrase on it.

Sure enough, as I passed by again I read the words, "The most important work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own home."  I took a closer look to be sure and yes it was attributed to Harold B. Lee, a former President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Now, this just isn't the kind of thing I see every day while shopping, and I thought I'd really like to have that in my house, but I wasn't sure the sign itself was our style (because of the shabby-chic look.)  My husband was apt to pass it by, but I decided in the end to get it.

So he left the store and I proceeded with my son to the checkout, and wouldn't you know, my daughter's good friend's mother was working the register.

I said, "I didn't know you worked here!"  Reading the quote on the sign, she remarked, "This is the PERFECT quote for you!"  I smiled, pleased that someone in my new town knows at least that much about me!

I was tempted to leave it at "Yes, thank you, I love it!" but I took the opportunity to tell her, "And you know what?  This quote is actually from one of the leaders of our church!  I was so surprised to see it in here and just had to get it."  She was intrigued and thought it was a neat coincidence as well and asked some follow-up questions:  "Is he a leader of your church now?  Have you met him?  Or is he from the past?"

It was just a quick interaction, but a completely natural one, and I was so happy to be able to introduce her a little more to what we believe.

This is probably one of my favorite side-effects of missionary work, the certain knowledge that God is aware of each of us and able to orchestrate and conduct this work.

Have a great Sabbath day!


1 comment:

  1. amazing experience, sudden inspiration surround us if we but look for it...lol!

    ReplyDelete